“Honor Your Father and Mother” is a commandment that has been given to us by God.
Honoring our parents is not just a moral obligation but a way to express our gratitude and appreciation to them for all they have done for us.
This daily devotional will explore the significance of honoring our parents and how we can implement this commandment in our daily lives.
» Wednesday, 10th May 2023 | I Stand In The Gap Daily Devotional | Honor Your Father and Mother.
- Previous daily devotional: “Anointed to Break Every Yoke“
- Today’s daily devotional: “Honor Your Father and Mother”
Anchor verse of the day
Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.Exodus 20:12 (NKJV)
This commandment emphasizes the importance of respecting our parents and recognizing the value of their guidance and support in our lives. By so doing, there is a divine blessing of long life that will come your way.
The Bible teaches that children are to honor and respect their parents, which includes obedience, care, and reverence. This commandment is not limited to children who are minors but extends to adult children as well. By obeying this commandment, we honor God and contribute to the well-being and harmony of our families.
NOTE: Although our reference Bible verse is about our biological parents, we cannot overlook the fact that it also includes our adopted parents, elderly persons who may not be kin and kith, but who affect our lives in some way. It could even be a neighbor.
What is the central theme in Exodus 20:12?
- The Commandment of Honor: This commandment is a foundational principle for the family structure and it reflects God’s desire for order, respect, and honor within the family unit.
What are the consequences for those who don’t honor their parents?
The consequences for not honoring one’s parents are not specified in Exodus 20:12, but several other passages in the Bible provide warnings and consequences for disobedience toward parents.
- Proverbs 20:20 says, “Whoever curses his father or his mother, his lamp will be put out in deep darkness,”
- Proverbs 30:17 states, “The eye that mocks a father and scorns to obey a mother will be picked out by the ravens of the valley and eaten by the vultures.”
- Ephesians 6:1-3 also teaches that disobedience to parents is a sin and warns that it can lead to negative consequences in one’s life. These consequences can include being cut off from God’s blessings and experiencing difficulties in relationships, career, and personal fulfillment.
Similar Bible verse to Exodus 20:12
Honor your father and mother’ – which is the first commandment with a promise – ‘so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.Ephesians 6:2-3 (NKJV)
Like Exodus 20:12, Ephesians 6:2-3 emphasizes the importance of honoring one’s parents. It also provides a promise of a good and long life for those who do so.
In both cases, the emphasis is on showing respect and gratitude to those who have raised and cared for us and recognizing the authority and wisdom they possess as our elders.
By honoring our parents, we also honor God and demonstrate our willingness to obey His commandments.
Reflection on “Honor your father and mother” to the believer
The commandment to “honor your father and mother” is a foundational principle that speaks to the heart of how we relate to our parents and ultimately, to God.
It is a commandment that is often overlooked in today’s society, where individualism and self-reliance are emphasized over the importance of family ties and respect for elders.
However, as believers, we are called to recognize the authority and wisdom of our parents and honor them accordingly.
Honoring our parents means showing them respect, love, and gratitude for all that they have done for us. It means listening to their advice and guidance, even if we do not always agree with them. It also means taking care of them when they are elderly or in need, and providing for them when they can no longer do so themselves.
As we honor our parents, we also honor God, who has placed them in our lives as a blessing and a source of guidance. By showing respect and love to our parents, we are also demonstrating our love for God and our commitment to His commandments.
Therefore, let us take the commandment to “honor your father and mother” to heart, and strive to show them the love and respect they deserve. Let us recognize the important role they play in our lives and the wisdom they have gained through their experiences.
May we also honor God by obeying His commandments and showing love and respect to our parents.
Prayer points or topics for “honor your father and mother”
- Pray for forgiveness: Ask God to forgive you for any past actions or attitudes that dishonored your parents. Confess any disobedience or disrespect, and ask the Holy Spirit to help you to honor them going forward.
- Pray for healing: If there is any hurt or bitterness in your relationship with your parents, ask God to heal those wounds. Pray for reconciliation and restoration, and ask for the grace to love them unconditionally, just as Christ loves us.
- Pray for wisdom: Ask God for wisdom and discernment in your relationship with your parents. Pray for grace to navigate difficult conversations or disagreements with humility and respect and for the courage to seek reconciliation and forgiveness when needed.
Let us pray
we come before You today to ask for Your guidance and grace as we meditate on Your commandment to honor our Father and Mother. Help us to show love and respect to our parents as they have been given to us as a blessing from you.
Father, help us to see the good in them and forgive them for their mistakes. We pray that You give us the strength to obey this commandment, even when it may be difficult.
May we always remember that through honoring our parents, we honor You.
In Jesus’ precious and mighty name, we pray.