In our “grace for today” devotional, we will be drawing inspiration from Ephesians where believers are urged to be kind, compassionate, and forgiving towards one another, just as God forgave them through Christ.
The idea is to reflect on the importance of showing grace in our daily lives, even when it may be difficult and reminds us of the tremendous grace that God has shown us.
Through thoughtful reflections and practical insights, this will encourage us to live a life characterized by grace, love, and forgiveness, and to experience the transformative power of God’s grace in our lives.
Let’s get started!
» Friday, 12th May 2023 | I Stand In The Gap Daily Devotional | Grace for Today.
- Previous daily devotional: “Demonic Impersonation“
- Today’s daily devotional: “Grace for Today”
Anchor verse for the day
With all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love.Ephesians 4:2 (NKJV)
Ephesians 4:2 implies that when we offer grace and forgiveness, we are showing grace, which is a gift from God.
So “grace for today” implies that we ought to attempt to be like God and offer grace and forgiveness to other people, very much like God shows us grace consistently.
The central theme in Ephesians 4:2
- Living in Unity and Love: Christians are to treat one another with gentleness, patience, and forbearance, a recurring theme in the book of Ephesians
Examples of acts that bring grace
- Prayer: is vital for connecting with God, seeking His grace, and finding strength, guidance, and comfort in tough times. It’s a powerful way to acknowledge our dependence on God and invite His presence into our lives.
- Forgiveness: Forgiveness is crucial in giving and receiving grace. When we forgive, we break free from anger and bitterness and show the same grace that God has shown us through Christ’s sacrifice. It opens up the path to love and freedom.
- Humility: A key to recognizing our limitations and relying on God’s grace. When we humble ourselves, we open up to receive His power working in our lives.
- Serving others: It is a practical way to show grace in action. When we serve, we put their needs first and show Christ’s love and compassion. It’s a way to be a channel of God’s grace and experience the joy of making a difference in the world.
- Reading and obeying the Bible: It helps us experience God’s grace. Through studying God’s Word, we learn about His character and plan for our lives. Applying its teachings transforms us by His grace and helps us live a life that honors Him
Similar Bible verse to Ephesians 4:2
Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, and longsuffering.Colossians 3:12 (NKJV)
This verse, like Ephesians 4:2, stresses the value of treating one another with virtues like compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. It serves as a reminder to Christians that they are God’s special people, set apart for His purposes, and tasked with displaying His attributes to the outside world.
The text exhorts believers to “clothe” themselves with these characteristics, implying that they should integrate them into their day-to-day activities and external manifestation. They can do this to forge solid bonds with others, advance harmony and peace, and lead lives that glorify God.
Reflection on “Grace for Today”
As Christians, we are obligated to coexist in harmony and love while displaying traits like kindness, patience, forbearance, and humility toward one another. This can be a difficult undertaking, particularly in a culture that frequently promotes individualism and self-promotion. Ephesians 4:2 however, reminds us that this is the kind of life that God asks us to live and that the only way we are able to do so is by His grace.
Let us keep in mind that God’s grace is unfailing and that we may rely on Him for the strength and wisdom to live a life that pleases Him. Let us take time to focus on the ways that we might show grace to those around us, even when it is difficult or uncomfortable.
Let us beg God for the strength and wisdom to step outside of our own needs and desires, and to focus instead on serving and loving others.
May we be reminded that we are called to extend grace to others as well as to receive it. We can be a visible representation of God’s compassion and mercy in the world by showing grace to others.
Let’s ask God for the grace we need to live in harmony and love, as well as the fortitude to constantly be a blessing to others.
Prayer points on “grace for today”
- Thankfulness: Begin by expressing gratitude to God for His grace and mercy which is new every morning. Ask Him to help you remain mindful of His grace throughout the day and to be a conduit of that grace to others.
- Strength: Ask God to give you the strength to extend grace to those who may be difficult to love or forgive. Ask Him to fill you with His love and compassion so that you may be a blessing to others.
- Guidance: Ask God to guide you in living a life characterized by grace. Pray for wisdom to discern when to extend grace and when to set healthy boundaries. Ask Him to reveal areas of your life where you may be holding onto resentment or bitterness, and to help you release those things to Him.
Our Father, we beg Your grace today. Help us to behave with kindness, patience, and humility toward others.
Fill us with your love so that we can be a blessing to the people around us. Help us to live lives that honor You and Your name.
We express our gratitude for Your unwavering provision, protection, and gift of salvation through Jesus Christ. We ask in Jesus’ mighty name, Amen.