Although the world can often be unfair and unjust, believers have a Defender who is always on their side. The psalmist begs God in Psalm 35:23 for protection from his adversaries in the “defender of the oppressed”.
This daily devotional will look at how God defends the weak and teaches us to put our trust in Him to win our fights.
» Monday, 17th April 2023 | I Stand In The Gap Daily Devotional | Defender of the Oppressed.
- Previous daily devotional: “Never Give Up In Life”
- Today’s daily devotional: “Defender of the Oppressed”
Anchor verse of the day
Stir up Yourself, and awake to my vindication,Psalm 35:23 (NKJV)
To my cause, my God and my Lord.
The psalmist in Psalm 35:23 believes that in the end, God’s justice and righteousness will triumph over the wicked.
The main theme in Psalm 35:23
- God as Defender of the Oppressed: The psalmist’s prayer to God for help in defending him and bringing those who had wrongfully accused and persecuted him to justice. The psalmist is requesting God’s justice and pleading with Him to act on his behalf.
Similar Bible verses to Psalm 35:23
3 Defend the poor and fatherless; Do justice to the afflicted and needy. 4 Deliver the poor and needy; Free them from the hand of the wicked.Psalm 82:3-4 (NKJV)
8 Open your mouth for the speechless, In the cause of all who are appointed to die. 9 Open your mouth, judge righteously, And plead the cause of the poor and needy.Proverbs 31:8-9 (NKJV)
How is the Believer oppressed to need God’s defense?
Believers may experience oppression in a variety of ways, including personal battles with sin and temptation, abuse by others, unfair treatment in society or on the job, and persecution for their belief.
Additionally, they could experience spiritual assaults from the enemy, such as worries, fears, and bad thoughts.
Believers can pray to God for help, protection, and deliverance in any of these circumstances. God is our protector and will stand up for us against those who rise up against us, as Psalm 35:23 reminds us.
As a believer, keep in mind that God sees your predicament, hears your calls for assistance, and He will not abandon you. Keep asking God for help and praying, and He will give you the courage and insight you need to deal with all the difficulties you encounter. God will never forsake His children, and He will always stand up for those who put their faith in Him.
Beloved, have faith in His justice, and carry on doing good deeds despite opposition and oppression.
- Pray for those who are currently oppressed and facing various forms of injustice, that God will be their defender and bring about justice on their behalf.
- Pray for those who are in positions of power and influence, that they may use their authority to stand up for the oppressed and work towards creating a more just society.
- Pray for the oppressed to have faith and trust in God, even in the midst of their suffering, and that they may find hope and strength in Him to persevere through their trials.
Let us pray
Our Father, I offer prayers for all the oppressed people who require your protection.
Please help them to realize that You are their staunchest ally by fortifying, guarding, and assisting them. In the midst of their difficulties, give them comfort and hope, and direct them toward a more promising future.
May they always have trust in your compassion and mercy, and may they find peace and consolation in your loving arms.
I ask in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.