Today, let’s join the heavenly host by raising our hands and saying “Worthy Is the Lamb.”
In the book of Revelation, we see a heavenly chorus praising the Lamb of God, who is Jesus Christ, for his sacrificial death and his glorious victory.
These words invoke notions of innocence, sacrifice, and redemption. I pray that these words will inspire us to worship and serve the Lord with gratitude and joy.
Key Takeaway to Worthy Is the Lamb
- Worthy Is the Lamb: The Lamb of God is worthy of our praise and adoration because he redeemed us from sin and death by his blood, and he reigns over all creation with power and wisdom.
Anchor Bible Verse of the Day
Then I looked, and I heard the voice of many angels around the throne, the living creatures, and the elders; and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands, saying with a loud voice: ‘Worthy is the Lamb who was slain to receive power and riches and wisdom, and strength and honor and glory and blessing!Revelation 5:11-12 (NKJV)
Here, John had a vision of the heavenly throne room, where he saw a scroll in the right hand of God, which contained the plan of God for the end times.
However, no one was able to open the scroll or look at its contents, except for one person: the Lamb who was slain. This Lamb is identified as Jesus Christ, who appeared as a lamb that had been killed but was alive.
He took the scroll from God’s hand, and as he did so, a multitude of angels, living creatures, and elders burst into praise. They declared that he was worthy to open the scroll and to receive all authority, wealth, wisdom, strength, honor, glory, and blessing.
They recognized that he had earned this right by his death on the cross, where he shed his blood to redeem a people for God from every tribe, tongue, nation, and people (Revelation 5:9).
- The Lamb: This title for Jesus Christ emphasizes his role as the sacrifice for our sins. In the Old Testament, lambs were offered as burnt offerings to atone for sin (Leviticus 1:10).
- The Lamb who was slain: This phrase highlights the contradiction of Jesus’ death and resurrection. He was killed as a lamb, but he rose as a lion.
- To receive power and riches and wisdom: Each attribute ascribed to the Lamb emphasizes His divine authority and sovereignty over all creation.
Reflection on Worthy Is the Lamb
What does it mean for us today that Jesus Christ is worthy as the Lamb who was slain? How can we apply this truth to our lives? Here are some points to consider:
- Worthy Is the Lamb means we should worship Him with awe and reverence, for He has done what no one else could do – we’re saved from sin to eternal life.
- Worthy Is the Lamb means we should trust Him with faith and confidence, for He is not only able to open the scroll of God’s plan but He is also able to fulfill it.
- Worthy Is the Lamb means we should serve Him with gratitude and joy, for He is not only our Savior but He is also our Master.
How do we respond to such a wonderful Savior? How do we show him our gratitude and our love? One way is to follow his example of humility and sacrifice.
Philippians 2:5-8 says:
Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.
- Beloved, Jesus did not cling to his divine privileges, but he emptied himself and took on human nature.
- He did not seek his own glory, but he served others with love.
- He did not resist his Father’s will, but he obeyed it even unto death.
We can imitate Jesus by having his mind in us. We can do this by renouncing our pride, our selfishness, and our sin. We can do this by serving others with humility, kindness, and generosity. We can do this by submitting to God’s will in every situation, even when it is hard or painful. We can do this by living for his glory, not ours.
We can also proclaim his worthiness by joining with other believers in praising him.
Hebrews 13:15 says:
Therefore by Him let us continually offer the sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of our lips, giving thanks to His name.
Call to Action
In your daily encounters, take a moment to consciously acknowledge the worthiness of the Lamb. Let your actions and words reflect a heart surrendered to the King of Kings.
Prayer Points for Today
- Bold Worship: Pray for a spirit of worship that recognizes and declares the worthiness of Jesus.
- Surrendered Heart: Ask God for a heart that willingly bows before the Lamb in every aspect of your life.
- Impactful Witness: Pray for opportunities to share the message of the Lamb’s worthiness with those around you.
Our Father, we join the heavenly chorus in proclaiming, “Worthy is the Lamb!” May our lives be a testament to the unmatched worth of Jesus Christ, our Savior and King.
In the precious and mighty name of Jesus, we pray. Amen.
My prayer for you today: I pray that your heart resonates with the heavenly declaration, acknowledging the worthiness of the Lamb in every aspect of your life.