We all encounter difficulties in life that seem to be beyond our control, and it is simple to feel discouraged by our situation and lose hope.
Let us examine how the narrative of Gideon in Judges 6 might encourage you to have faith in God and overcome your obstacles. Rising above your circumstances will help you to overcome any circumstances and live victorious lives by relying on the strength of the Holy Spirit and God’s grace.
» Monday, 27th February 2023 | I Stand In The Gap Daily Devotional | Rising Above Your Circumstances.
Yesterday, we shared “Overcoming Spiritual Battles with Faith”, and today’s is about “Rising Above Your Circumstances.”
Anchor verse of the day
Then the Lord turned to him and said, “Go in this might of yours, and you shall save Israel from the hand of the Midianites. Have I not sent you?Judges 6:14 (NKJV)
Our anchor verse of the day (Judges 6:14) reminds us that we have a God who is with us and empowers us to rise above our circumstances.
Themes in Judges 6:14
- Divine Calling: Gideon receives a special assignment from God to defend Israel against the Midianites. This demonstrates God’s absolute authority in deciding who He uses and how.
- God’s Power: God has given Gideon the strength and capability to complete the assignment, as evidenced by the statement “Go in this might of yours.” This subject stresses how God gives His children the tools they need to overcome obstacles.
- Obedience: Gideon was expected to follow God’s instructions after being summoned to battle. This topic emphasizes how crucial it is to follow God’s leading, even when it means putting our comfort aside.
- Assurance: God confirms His existence and promises Gideon that He will aid him in completing the assignment. This subject highlights that even in the face of difficulties, we can put our faith in God’s promises and depend on His support.
- Faith: Despite the task’s apparent impossibility, Gideon was urged to put his faith in God’s strength and guidance. This subject emphasizes how crucial it is to have faith in God’s capacity to get through challenging conditions.
Background to Judges 6:14
Judges 6:14’s historical context can be traced back to a time when the Midianites were persecuting the Israelites.
Israel’s livestock and harvests were being pillaged by the Midianites, which led to extreme suffering and poverty for the Jews. The Israelis prayed to God for relief from their distress.
Then God appointed Gideon, a farmer from the Manasseh tribe, to save the Hebrews from the Midianites. Gideon originally questioned whether God had really picked him for this assignment and pleaded for a sign.
God spoke to Gideon during this encounter and promised him that He would support him in his endeavor to save the Israelis.
Some challenges the Christians may face
- Health Challenges: Christians may experience problems with their physical or mental health, which may affect their quality of life. It’s critical to keep in mind that we are called to take care of our bodies since they are the temples of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 6:19–20). It may be necessary to seek medical attention, alter one’s lifestyle, and rely on God’s fortitude and healing power in order to overcome health issues.
- Poverty: Around the world, a lot of Christians struggle to provide for their basic needs due to financial hardships. Climbing above poverty may require discovering ways to earn income, requesting support from the church or other organizations, and relying in God’s provision.
- Spiritual Attacks: Believers may experience spiritual attacks from the enemy, who aim to murder, steal, and destroy them (John 10:10). These assaults could appear as dread, doubt, temptation, or persecution. Putting on all of God’s armor (Ephesians 6:10–18), fighting the adversary, and becoming close to God via prayer, Bible study, and company with other believers are possible ways to overcome spiritual attacks.
Christians also face challenges such as persecution, temptation, doubt and uncertainty, fear, and loneliness. The list is endless.
Reflection on rising above your circumstances
The theme of conquering the difficulties we encounter in life is conveyed by the title of ” rising above your circumstances.” Although we are not spared from confronting challenging situations as believers, we are called to overcome them. We are urged to put our faith in God’s protection and provision in order to overcome obstacles.
It is crucial for believers to keep in mind that, in the current epoch, our trust in Christ has granted us the ability and authority to overcome our circumstances.
Trials and tribulations are not meant to defeat us; rather, they are supposed to give us the strength and grace to get through them with the help of God.
We must hold fast to God’s promises as we face life’s difficulties and have faith that He will give us the knowledge, bravery, and strength to overcome our difficulties. It is important for us to keep in mind that our God is a God of restoration and redemption and that He is able to work all things out for our benefit.
Let us always be inspired to put our faith in God’s faithfulness and rise above our circumstances.
Let us pray
Our Father in Heaven,
We acknowledge that you are the one who gives us the courage to overcome our difficulties as we come before you.
Heavenly Father, with hearts full of gratitude, we ask for your assistance in keeping our attention on You rather than the difficulties we are facing. Give us the discernment to understand that you are always with us and that your strength is stronger than any barrier we may face.
Help us to face each day knowing that You are in charge and that nothing can ever take that away from us.
We pray that you will use this daily devotional to motivate and inspire others who read it.
We ask in the name of Jesus, Amen.